Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Procrastinating...

It's noon here on the calm little island we call Iceland. I've been up since early this morning, busily picking at my computer's keyboard and mousepad. The closest I've come to doing any actual work on my thesis, though, is opening the Word program. Then I instantly went back to Ravelry!
Oh, Ravelry, what a delightfully useful tool for procrastinators who want to look and sound as if they're working, but are really just salivating over pictures of knitted goods produced by othersI It's addictive and inspiring and fun, and I'm really going to have to summon all my willpower and stay away from it if I want to finish my thesis by August 15, as planned. If I'm good I'm going to allow myself all of August 16 to knit and lounge around the internet. Oh, but the pull of Ravelry is strong when faced with the prospect of writing about television history all day.
Despite all this working and pretending to work, I've managed to get some knitting and finishing done. Does anyone remember a gray Létt Lopi cardigan I began back in March? Well, I finished the actual knitting and end-weaving back then, but then I had to go to Denmark for a month, and I sensibly left the cardigan in Iceland. Upon my return to my native land, all I had left to do was blocking and sewing on some buttons. I've done that now, and so I give you:



The great thing about Iceland is that it's totally cold enough to wear this in June. All knitters should live here, wool is useful year round.
I've also finished a shawl called Hálfskák from the book Þríhyrnur og Langsjöl. Here it is:



It's unblocked so it will become much nicer. I'm a little worried about the blocking, because the shawl has a very nice frilly edging at the moment that I don't want to lose. How can I stretch out the shawl without killing the frill? Any ideas?
I apologize for the bad photo lighting, the Icelandic midday sun is blaring into the room. But look at my nifty new haircut. No more tangled, messy, felted clumps of hair for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting into Ravelry! I looked you up and added you to my friends. :-)

I'd love to visit Iceland in the summer, and wear a cardigan. ;-)

Rebecca said...

I love the sleeves on your lopapeysa.

I made that shawl although I am yet to model it blocked. It was a pain to block with all those frills, and I don´t think I did the best job. The best is to go slow and I kept having to restretch it to get the loops to stretch out as much as possible. Here is mine blocking.

lomester said...

Oh i know the ravelry illness * sigh * I have so much work to do. I start one thing and then switch back to ravelry....

Anonymous said...

Hae. Var ad rekast a bloggid thitt.

Langar thig til ad vera memm i prjonaklubb? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/garnaflaekja

kv.
Sonja handavinnublogg.blogspot.com