Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The inevitable

It had to happen. I bought Icelandic wool. It's for a cardigan. I think I need some therapy to get out of this cardigan rut, seriously. Anyway, the Létt-Lopi cardigan I'm going to make is of the traditional kind with a patterned yoke. The body of the cardigan will be a dark gray and the pattern will be a lighter gray, white and black. I did attempt to get a picture, but the light is not my friend today, and therefore wasn't able to get one that showed the colors propely. I'll just post pictures of the work in progress. I don't have a gray cardigan, so, in theory, I really need one. To coordinate will all of my gray clothes, you know? Very Important Project.
Lately I've been knitting on a green cardigan of my own design, which I believe I've mentioned before. No pictures of that either, sorry. It's turning out pretty nicely, much better than I'd expected, and I don't have much knitting to go to finish it. Unfortunately, I'm knitting with the last skein, and if it runs out before the sweater does, well then I'm afraid that that's the end of the line for this project. I probably could make some adjustments to the design so that it would use less wool, but then it wouldn't be just the way I want it. I think that this green wool would also make a fine shawl, and that my design can be knit up again with other, more plentiful yarn. So if I have to frog I shall shed no tears. It's all just part of the circle of life.
Speaking of the circle of life, there's this new, ostentatious trend that's taking Iceland by storm right now. Wealthy Icelanders have taken to hiring world-famous entertainers to appear at their parties. Recent examples include an Icelandic bank manager who got Duran Duran to play at his new-years party, a businessman who turned fifty and got Elton John to play at his party (hence the circle of life). And today news arrives of Iceland's most beloved billionaire's fortieth birthday party where 50cent apparently drove the crowd wild. I find this trend, as well as the fact that every time someone rich moves a muscle in this country it makes the news, both hilarious and pretty offensive. Hmm, maybe I just find it offensive because I never get invited to any of these parties. They should invite me though; everyone else brings the billionaires presents made by Prada or Porsche or gold plated diamonds or rockets to the moon, but I would be the only guest who brings a present knit with love and patience. I'm sure it would be much appreciated.
Apart from hoping for a party invite, I've spent the last days watching a stupendous amount of TV news. Then I've spent alot of time reading about TV news and thinking about TV news. Funnily enough, my interest in this subject is still on the increase, and therefore leading an interesting life with friends and knitting has kind of taken the back seat. And this development seems likely to continue until August 15., which is when I hand in my thesis. Man, this makes my prospects for the next few months seem pretty dim and dull. I really have to get my hands on a billionaire's party invite, and fast!

No comments: