Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Hi! Lovely day isn't it? It is here in Reykjavik: the sun is shining and the temperature is probably just a little bit below freezing. I just got back from another grueling day at the broadcasting archives to find the family computer pleasantly vacant. My own beloved laptop is with a repair guy who doesn't seem to want to give me any kind of estimate concerning how long it will take him to fix it. So right now I share computer time with my mom and my brother, who are both, incidentally, graduate students. As you can imagine this can lead to some heated discussions whose need for computer time is the most urgent. But right now no one seems to be home, so I'm able to blog in peace.
Anyways, I've been spending eight hours a day watching old TV news and most nights catching up with my friends so I haven't been super productive. But I did manage to finish a languishing UFO recently and wanted to share it with the world:



It's quite a sight, isn't it? Yes, I'm very pleased with no longer owning just the one store-bought scarf. I can now strut my stuff in this freezing weather without knitterly humility. Hooray! I also knit that sweater I'm wearing there, by the way, but it belongs to my life before blogging, and therefore I see no reason to present it especially. This blog is all about progress, not dredging up the sordid past!
I have another knitting date with my wool-obsessed friend tonight. It's her birthday next Monday and she's invited me over for coffee and cake. I have no idea what to get her. I was thinking about some nice sock yarn, so I stopped by this yarn place on my way home today, and holy rate of inflation! One ball of Regia sock yarn costs 549 ISK. I'm a little too dense to figure out how much that is in terms that makes sense to anyone else than Icelanders, but believe you me, it's a lot of money for one stinking ball of yarn. Apparently Lopi and it's immediate relatives is the only yarn I'll be able to afford for the foreseeable future. Good thing it's my favorite yarn in the world, or I'd really be in trouble. But as far as a birthday present goes, I'll just have to think of something else, which is sad because sock yarn is such a perfect present.

No comments: