Sunday, April 15, 2007

Icelandic sweaters of the seventies

My new years resolution concerning the increased knitting of accessories has so far been a complete failure. But rather than beat myself up about it, I'm going to blame the media.
Because of the enomous persuasive power of Icelandic television news footage from the 1970's I have been sucked into the vortex that is knitting a Lopi cardigan. In the 1970's everyone, and I mean litterally everyone, looked the same: the men had lambchop sideburns, the women had long hair parted in the middle, they wore flyaway trousers and a traditional, yoked Lopi sweater or cardigan. I've watched so much footage from this period in the last few weeks that I've unconsciously begun to adopt this look: I constantly wear my hair down, although a middle parting has yet to develop; I've unearthed a couple of pairs of bell-bottom trousers that I haven't thought of as cool since sometime in my teens, and ultra-modern knitting projects such as wristwarmers and tube tops have had to make way for the cardigan of the seventies. Lo and behold:



There it is in all of its "in progress" glory! Stay tuned for more hits of the seventies!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know those pictures! :-) The so-called Best of Lopi book is full of them.

I like to think that the Lopi sweater is classic, like an Aran, and therefore it suits all eras. Even those with funny hairstyles. ;-)

Sigga Sif said...

Those lopi sweaters are dangerous.

I have a good way of kickstarting accessory-knitting. Just make some horrible mistake on the sweater, like, make it turn out huge, and afterwards you'll have a few weeks for small projects before you can even contemplate starting another sweater. Works every time!