Sunday, March 25, 2007

Greetings from lovely Reykjavik

I can feel it. The time draws near. I predict that sometime within the next week I shall purchase a huge amount of Létt Lopi. My defenses grow weaker by the day.
I order to justify this impending spending spree I intend to knit a sweater for my boyfriend. This is a totally uncharacteristic bout of selflessness, but does amply illustrate the depth of my affection for Icelandic wool. And for my boyfriend, of course! The sweater I'm going to make him is this one (as you can see, no progress on the camera business yet. I've even had some computer geeks investigate the matter and they were stumped):



I've knit my boyfriend two sweaters before. The first one he didn't like. It's a brown Lopi sweater with a black and white yoke that he had himself picked out as the perfect sweater. The pattern is from the late eighties or early nineties, and the sweater is kind of baggy and bulky. Turns out that boyfriend likes his sweaters lightweight and fitted, information that would have come in handy sometime before I embarked on knitting the damn thing. This sweater is now firmly relegated to being worn around the house only.
About a year ago I knit another sweater for him, and this time it was a huge success. It's a close-fitting heavy-worsted stockinette sweater with a cabled yoke (I really like yokes). He's worn this sweater so much it's kind of become his uniform. I really want to make him another sweater that he'll like this much, just to add a bit of variety to his wardrobe. He's already okayed the sweater shown above, but he wants different colours, so when he gets here (he's spending easter in Iceland. Hooray!) we're going to the Lopi shop together to do some shopping. My cunning plan is to make him a Létt Lopi sweater, so I'll then have an excuse to make one for me, guilt-free. The logic is that I deserve to be rewarded for being such a good girlfriend. Everybody wins.
In other news, I've completed this handsome sock, knit from the toe up with a short-row toe and heel.



The colors in this photo are, of course, not true to life. The sock is much nicer in real life, and will also be improved by the weaving in of ends and some blocking. I totally enjoyed knitting this sock, both construction-wise and also because of using up the whole ball of wool. I'm going to get started on its partner today.
I´m going to end on a sad, maddening note. My wonderful new laptop seems to have sustained a mysterious injury to its dvd-drive and will have to go in for some costly repairs. I'm totally bummed out by this, mostly because I have no idea what happened. I've taken meticulous care of this computer ever since I got it, but yesterday I wanted to watch a dvd and noticed some weird sounds coming from the drive. I tried to eject the disc I'd just put in, but it wouldn't come out. It was only at that point I noticed that the slot where you put the discs now looks like a smile. I kid you not, that straight slot has mysteriously turned into a curve, and it won't return my precious Northern Exposure dvd. This also seriously disables my research. I'm going to have to start taking notes on paper with a pen, like a primitive cavewoman. Thank goodness for insurance is all I can say at this point. That, and I'm seriously bummed out. Hopefully a little knitting will ease the bummed-outness.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Ooh, that sock is really pretty! What is the yarn?