Sunday, November 9, 2008

Knitting for others

I've taken up knitting for the Handknitting association of Iceland. It's probably the most rewarding job I've ever had (not that it's a full time job or anything, although that would be sweet). Mostly because it gives me the freedom to knit stuff I never would knit for myself, and so I get to try out these new techniques and materials and stuff.
Also, I can receive my payment in yarn. Which is clearly the best idea ever.
I've always hated knitting for others, but it turns out that I just hate to knit for people I know. I appear to be fine with knitting for complete strangers and never seeing my knitted artifacts ever again. Odd.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, cool and welcome!
Aren't you going to show what you are knitting? First, I am curious and second, imagine the (unlikely, I admit) possibility that someone who bought your stuff googles "Icelandic handknit" one day and finds a picture of your/his/her sweater, shawl, whatever.
Otherwise, have fun knitting for strangers and be paid in yarn. Who cares for (Icelandic) money these days anyway!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, another vote for showing us, pretty please? That sounds like such a fun job and I totally get that you like anonymous knitting more than it has to fit a certain person with certain measurements and be flattering at the same time.