Sunday, August 31, 2008

On the needles

This has been a summer of starting a lot of stuff, but less of finishing. I have so many projects on the needles right now, I've lost count. What kind of unites them all is that they are mostly lace projects; with lace, I like both the process and the outcome, so it's clearly my favorite kind of knitting. With cables and fair isle knitting, I like the outcome just fine, but usually I'm not so excited about the actual process of knitting using those techniques.
I just recently got back from Berlin where I had a tremendous vacation. It was in no way knitting related; I just went with my family and saw the sights. I had, however, decided before I got there that I was going to buy some german sock yarn. I ended up buying the yarn in a department store, since I didn't stumble upon any yarnshops when walking around and I certainly didn't want to drag my family on some kind of demented yarnshop search, especially since I didn't know if it would yield any worthwhile results. Anyways, I bought two huge skeins of Opal sock yarn that were quite a bit cheaper than what they go for here in Iceland. One is a cotton/wool blend and the other is just regular sock wool, but what charmed me about it is that its colors are based on a painting by Hundertwasser. Excellent cultural reference.
I expect that such nice sock yarn will help me with my ever-unsuccessful quest to stop knitting all these damn cardigans and start working on some other projects for a change. Like socks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Berlin.. sure you had fun.
If you should ever overcome your cardiganitis in favour of sock knitting, or you feel a longing for German sockyarn despite of some cardigans on the needles - let me know. From time to time, I am ordering online from Germany and have the yarn delievered to Iceland. The more the merrier!