Thursday, February 15, 2007

The kind of knitter I am.

I just wanted to use this opportunity to try to explain the kind of knitter I am. When I read other knittingblogs, and I do that alot, I am constantly amazed at both how much and how little I can have in common with my fellow stick-wielding wool lovers. What follows is a short list of some of the things that I notice most as points of convergence or difference between me and the rest of you:

1. Socks. I do not love to knit them. They are definately not my favorite kind of project (the subject of favorite kinds of projects will be returned to shortly). In yesterday's post I mentioned that I have two pairs of socks in progress, and this is true, but it's only because I'm in the midst of a concerted sock-knitting effort. I'm consciously trying to make myself like knitting them. I mean, I like wearing them, so how hard can it be?
Anyway, the reason I´m trying so hard to fall in love with the sock-knitting process is because I´ve noticed a definate sock-bias on the blogs I´ve been reading. Apparently, alot of people out there prefer to knit socks more than any other kind of project. Not being part of this group makes me feel a bit of a freak, truth be told, hence the sock-knitting effort. Kind of pathetic, really.

2. I´m a product knitter. For me it´s a little bit about the process, but very, very, very much about the finished product. I have to end up with something that looks good, something that I or someone else would wear with pride. However, I should probably mention at this point that I´m also an exceedingly selfish knitter; I only like to make things for myself. I´ve made stuff for other people, sure, and I´m not saying that there isn't some satisfaction gained from the gratitude I get, but I guess the bottom line is that if I've worked on something, I want to reap the benefits myself. Totally selfish.

3. Now, just in case I'm giving off a bad image of myself as this selfish, awful person, I will say this in my defense: I am not a yarn snob. I'm very open-minded when it comes to yarn, and while I prefer to work with wool, I'll give just about anything a chance. Part of this attitude may derive from the fact that I'm a student and therefore never have any money. I kind of have to go for the cheap yarn, I guess. But there is alot of cheap yarn out there that's really good, and I've also worked with expensive yarn (Rowan, no less) that I was disappointed with, especially considering how much it cost me. I guess what I'm saying is that I'll give anything a try once, you never know when you might discover a treasure.

4. Has anyone heard of Cardiganitis? I have it in a bad way. Practically all my projects last year were cardigans. For me. I have about 25 cardigans in my closet. I made 4 cardigans from the same pattern between the months of july and november, only alternating the colors I worked with. See what I mean about being a product knitter.? I just happen to think this pattern turns out a really cool cardigan, and so I feel a pressing need to have one in every color. I've moved on from that particular pattern now, on to others, but I'm almost as bad with those. In december I knit two cardigans from another pattern, and am currently working on the second of two cardigans from a third pattern. A little crazy? Methinks so.
Again, in my defense, I wear a cardigan practically every day. They are so much better at showing off cool t-shirts than sweaters are.

5. My criteria for a successful cardigan pattern that I'll fall in love with and knit a billion times over is that it must be knit in one piece and must feature entertaining details such as fair isle colorwork, cables or lace. Or all of those elements. Or any combination of those elements. However, any steeking is a total no-no.
The knitting in one piece thing is important to me because I hate to sew up my work. I've sucessfully sewn up a few cardigans, mind you, but when I discovered the joys of seamless construction I simply saw no reason to turn back. Why sew when you can skip it? I've yet to find a good answer to this question.

6. I made one new years resolution concerning my knitting: 2007 shall be the year of knitted accessories! I shall teach myself to love the mitten, the sock the shawl, the hat, the scarf, and so on and so forth. No more damned cardigans until 2008! Exept of course for that cardigan that I'm currently working on, but I cast on for that in 2006, so it technically belongs to that year.
It's just ridiculous that I, prolific knitter that I am, have only one scarf. And a store-bought scarf at that. Hopefully the year 2007 will remedy this situation.

7. I have practically no stash. Back home in Iceland I have one cardigan's (!) worth of green and purple wool that I found on sale and couldn't pass up, but that's about it. I knit all the time, I have several projects on the go at any one time, and yet the wool I have is only the wool required for those projects. When other bloggers show pictures of their expansive stash I'm filled with awe. How can they own all this wool and not use it? I don't get it. But I guess they wouldn't get me, either.

On the technical side, I still haven't figured out how to get my camera to work. I'm beginning to have a sneaking suspicion that it may be broken. God, I wish I had in my real-world life who was good at this kind of stuff. Alas, my life is pitifully tech-nerd free. But I'm working on the problem. Until then, I'll just have to dangle finished objects in front of the computer and use the photo booth function.
But, now, I really should go study. Really.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I came over from Too Much Wool and I'm reading through all of your back blog entries. I think that stash acquisition doesn't really happen until you have some loose change in your pocket. Hopefully you will get some loose change sometime in the future! Also, when you're a student you tend to move a lot, so accumulation of stash is not really very convenient. But once you are settled and have an empty closet....

I also have a goal of making more scarves and hats this year. The only scarf I have is store-bought too!

Carola said...

It's always nice to discover a new blog(ger) and you make it very easy and interesting to browse your site for a while, giving all these controversive information away about yourself - I'm a 90% sock knitter, and someone who cannot stick to a pattern without making at least some changes ;-)
I'm looking forward to your next posts and I am hoping that you will reveal the pattern of the oh so very sucessful cardigan pattern!