Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Blogpost the first


Contrary to what this blog's title would indicate, I am not knitting a hamburger. No sir. No culinary knitting going on here. Although I did once see a pattern for a knitted hamburger pillow that I may consider if I ever completely lose my mind. I am, however, a big fan of booth wollen and beef goodies, and so I figured it would be a smart move to include both of these good things in the title of my blog. That, or I was decidedly uninspired when I created the title of this blog.
Blogging is not a totally new thing to me, not at all. This is, in fact, my second attempt at a blog. The first one was the kind that I maintained for my friends and family and it didn't work out for a number of reasons. For one thing, it was in Icelandic, creating a language barrier which meant that my audience was necessarily limited. Second, it was also a knitting blog. In Icelandic. That only my friends and family knew about. This was not a good combination. Only a couple of my friends knit, and so the feedback I got on my posts was decidedly underwhelming. Needless to say, I lost interest pretty quickly.
This time I hope it will be different. By posting in English, I really hope that the people who will read my blog will be knitters, rather than just people somehow personally linked to me. I hope that through this blog I can take part in some kind of community of like-minded people, that is to say, knitting obsessives with whom I can share my craziness.
To give a little background on myself, just because it's always nice to know who you're dealing with, I'm a 27 year old Icelandic graduate student, currently living in Copenhagen, Denmark. I began knitting, seriously that is, in 2004 when I was living in Cambridge, England, and was in desperate need of a hobby. I stumbled across Debbie Stollers Stitch'n'Bitch in a bookstore and from then on, I was lost to the world. I had been taught how to knit when I was a child and had experimented with designing my own projects when I was a teenager, but that always ended in tears. But when I found Stitch'n'Bitch my life changed for the better because, lo! That book taught me how to follow a pattern, and what's more, it included patterns that I actually wanted to make. To this day I am a devout follower of patterns; I hardly ever make any alterations to them and wouldn't dream of designing anything on my own. In a way, this is good. When my projects are complete, they look like the picture that came with the pattern, and there's a kind of satisfaction that goes along with that. However, I can totally imagine that completing a sucessful project of your own design is endlessly more satisfying, so that's something I aspire to do in the future. I just don't feel ready yet, I guess.
I´m currently working on a whole bunch of wip's which include a couple of cardigans, a couple of pairs of socks, a cowl, a shawl and (gasp! shock! horror!) a little crochet bag. I really have no idea which of these projects is the most likely to cross the finish line first, but when one does, I'll try to post pictures. I really think that pictures are soooo important to knitting blogs, having that visual confirmation really packs a punch that words just can't muster. I do have some technological issues though. I just bought a new laptop, and I can't figure out how to get my camera to do the tango with it. Also, I lost the software that came with the camera, and blablabla. Anyway, when I figure out how to establish a dialog between my computer and camera, I will post pictures. Until then, I'll have to make do with this nifty photobooth feature on my laptop. Pictured somewhere in this post (I also need to figure out how to put the pictures where I want them to go in my posts, not just all at the top all the time) is a snapshot of a yoke I recently knit and am currently wearing. Yokes are one of my favorite things in life; there is so little sewing involved.

No comments: